How To Fix iTunes Error 3194

How To Fix iTunes Error 3194 – while restoring, updating or downgrading iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS or iPad 3,2,1 or iPod touch on iOS 4.x or iOS 5.x or iOS 6.x on Windows and Mac.

This error can be fixed by temporarily blocking Apple’s firmware signing services.

What Does iTunes Error 3194 Mean ?

So, before I tell you how to fix error 3194 on your iTunes I’ll shed some light on what this error is all about. If you don’t already know, the iTunes error 3194 is quite a common error that iOS users have to face recently.

It is an error that sometimes occur when you try to restore the iOS on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad. And the main cause for it to happen is when you upload a custom jailbroken firmware to upgrade or downgrade your device’s iOS. When you upload a jailbroken firmware that is not recognized by the Apple firmware signing services on your iTunes, the firmware signing service blocks you from using the firmware thus resulting in you not being able to change the firmware on your Apple device.

For many Apple device users (meaning iPhone, Ipod, and iPad users), jailbreaking their device is a common choice. However, users who have jailbroken their device and would like to restore their firmware to stock or change it to the custom iOS 4.x or iOS 5.x firmware very often encounter error 3194. This error is also often noticed to occur when users use Cydia to jailbreak their device, change the system host file to Cydia’s SHSH server, and later try to change the firmware version.

How To Fix iTunes Error 3194 Steps :

1- Close your iTunes first.
2- Locate your hosts file, You can find this file in

•  /etc/hosts  for Mac OS X :
  • c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts for Windows

3- Open the hosts file with Notepad so you need to have Administrator Privileges to edit the file
4- Type the following line below last text, to the very bottom of the hosts file:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

5- Connect your iPhone to the computer
6- Open up iTunes
7- Put your iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode by the following steps

• Hold down power button and home button both at the same time for 10 seconds.
  • After the 10 seconds release the power button and still pressing on the home button for another 10 seconds.

8- Use iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device

Once your iOS update is finished, remove the “74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com” line from your hosts file again so that iTunes can properly update as usual.

Fix Error 3194 On Your iTunes Using A Registry Cleaner :

I know it is annoying to encounter this error because it means that you cannot change your iOS firmware on your device as you want. But if you use a registry cleaner like this one, you can restore or downgrade your firmware anytime. Plus, this software is used by thousands of people and is very recommended by all its users.

Why not take a look at this amazing registry cleaner software: Registry Cleaner

So now you know that error 3194 stems from one of your hosts file which makes iTunes unable to change your device iOS firmware, you should also know that with a good registry cleaner you can fix this error easily. But make sure you choose the right software to do the job or you’ll cause more harm to your computer registry. This software is perfect since it’s trusted by so many users,  See Also More iTunes Errors.

58 Answers + Add Your Answer

1. zain says:

hi my iphone4s jailbroken ios 5.01 got stuck with the 3194 error while trying to update to ios 6, and your step by step insructions helped fix it, thanks.
    now exploring ios6 with my iphone4s ….

• karlos says:

plazzzzzz help me some one i can not restore it says 3149 help me

• WY Leung says:

Me2!! Anybody help us?

• bel says:

ATTENTION ATTENTION: FOR ALL OF YOU WHO WANT TO DOWNGRADE TO 5.0 ALLTHE WAY BACK TO 4.0 …ALL YOU SIMPLY HAVE TO DO IS UNINSTALL YOUR ITUNES COMPLETELY AND GOOGLE THE WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD ANY VERSION OF ITUNES ….DOWNLOAD CORESSPONDING ITUNES VERSION FOR THE IOS YOU WANT : XAMPLE , I DOWNLOADED ITUNES 10.5.33 IT ASKES YOU OR TELLS YOU NEW UPGRADE AVAILABE DO NOT UPGRADE STAY WITH SAME VERSION THEN PLUG YOUR DEVISE IF IN RECOVERY MODE RESTORE YOUR DEVISE WITH THAT CORESSPONDING VERSION SIMPLE….IF YOU CAN …..PERSONELLY I HAVE 2 LAPTOPS AND 1 PC ,BUT IF YOU DONT YOU CAN ADD KNEW ACCOUNT USER IF ON WINDOWS 3194 IS USUALLY A WINDOWS ERROR NOT MAC…

• trndxx says:

Screw apple and it’s itunes for actually punishing us for jailbreaking our devices.

hope you’d mangaed to save any Ios6 blob (even 6.01 will help).

if you got one at cydia servers or extracted on your pc via Tinyumbrella, you can “restore” with the 6.1 ipsw via Redsn0w .15b3.

(extras -> more -> retore).

did the trick for me. hope it will help some of you guys out there.

• anith says:

please help me dude to restore my iphone ……….i cant restore by using itunes its showing errors, i try many times…
        i hope you will help me to find its solution

thank you

2. Mario says:

Hi Ive tried to downgrade from ios6 to ios5 and followed excat your instructions but still get 3194 error, to be sure the phone must be switched on when put it to DFU mode? any help from you I appriciate thanks

3. steve says:

I follow this to the letter and I still get the error message? Please help.

4. pine says:

i have also tried adding that line and doing everything u said. i also tried several other methods which involve in changing the lines on the hosts file and yet none of the methods have worked. i am downgrading my iphone 4s from ios6 back to ios 5.1.1 because i have several problems on ios 6. i am currently trying a cleaner so i will update you all if it works. ps if anyone has any other methods then please share so those of us who cant get it to work even after chaning the hosts file can try other ways. thanks

5. Ej says:

I have a jailbroken iPod touch 4G running on jailbroken 5.0.1. Just today, I tried to update my iPod to iOS6 through shift+restore when my ipod is on DFU mode. I’ve been encountering this error for hours now and all the solutions don’t work at all. Am I doing something wrong? and one more question, is it worth upgrading to the iOS 6?

6. Ammad says:

Hellow I also faced 3194 error according to instruction’s i edited host file and placed Ip as specified above but agian got the same error again please help me out :(

7. bilal says:

Hellow I also faced 3194 error according to instruction’s i edited host file and placed Ip as specified above but agian got the same error again please help me out :(

8. Ninja.vad says:

Hi guys. My iphone 3gs, stuck with error 3194 when trying to restore.
    Following your instructions changed HOST FILE ( BTW you need open Notepad as administrator and than find this file host on PC and than edit it and save)
    So error 3194 was fixed. But than i have errors 1601 +1602 when itunes are trying to verify ios 5.1.1 (i downloaded separately and using this file by holding shift when pressing restore). So i think this is it. Nothing i can do now, just to wait for untethered jailbreak for ios 6

9. udeth says:

me too I’ve been trying to downgrade my ipod4g and error 3194 keeps on showing up i followed all the instructions. I badly want to downgrade because i can’t open apps it keeps on crashing.. help please.

10. The Boss says:

Don’t waste your time on this crap, doesn’t work. So screw you buddy, SCREW YOU

11. Willian C. says:

Worked for me, thanks!

12. Dozier says:

Delete all the host files… Then just add the one line .. That solved my issues.. 10 F’n hours later lol

13. AZH says:

IVE SEARCHED ALL OVER THE NET TO FIX THIS ERROR 3194!

THE ONLY SOLUTION IS JUST REMOVE THIS
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    FROM c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (use notepad to edit) for Windows
    and for MAC /etc/hosts for Mac OS X :

AND THAT’s IT!

14. AC says:

None of the above worked for me. I have a 4s. Been trying for DAYS!!! WTF?! Becoming frustrated…… :(

15. xyz says:

type my shit!!

hey guys, once you open the hosts file just delete any entries regarding apple.com and check the results.
    this is d only way it works!

16. Ankit says:

Thanks, followed your instructions as stated and it worked.

17. Mariana says:

Worked for me, thank you =)

• mds.aachen says:

Hi Mariana, I did as instructed but it didn’t work. Could you please tell me exactly how you did it? Did you really simply add that line and then use “Shift+Restore” in iTunes? Its really frustrating :(

18. flanii says:

I did anything which mentioned above, but none of them worked… :( (
    I’m working on it since 3 weeks.
    ios is 5.1 on 4s
    need to jailbreak it
    help pls

19. Kit says:

I’m trying to update my iPhone 4 from iOS 4.1 to 4.3.5 and I’m getting the 3194 error. The gs.apple.com is not in my host file. How can I fix this?

20. Paul says:

This method didn’t work, I still get the same error message! :( Please help me out!

21. mds.aachen says:

My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and unlocked on iOS 4.0. I am trying to update to iOS 5.1.1. I don’t have the respective SHSH. So I am guessing I have no option but to temporarily block Apple’s firmware signing services and hence need to do this? I did exactly as instructed with the hosts file in Windows. But I still get the same error. Kindly help.

Cheers, M

22. MIguel cruz says:

I restored and restored my iphone 3gs and its still stuck on the apple logo what do i do ???????????? HHHHHEEELLLLPPPPP

23. Mw ronok says:

I wanted to restore my iphone running on ios5.1.1 i tried changing the host file but then it showed error 1015 then i used tinyumbrella to get out of recovery mode.it got kicked out but sadly it didnt restore… Any suggesion ??

24. raghav says:

pls..i have the same problem as well.could anyone find a way 2 overcome 3194 error..should i delete any file in the apple device itself?

25. amos says:

Am tired of trying this shit. Its not working

26. Alexander says:

Why do I keep seeing “downgrade”? I am trying to jailbreak/unlock my iPhone 4 currently on ios 5.0.1. I want to restore it, also to 5.0.1, using the custom IPSW I made using sn0wbreeze. Each time I try to do so, I get error 3194. How do I fix this? I am not trying to restore to the standard IPSW, nor am I trying to downgrade or un-jailbreak.

27. ken says:

work for me too!!!
    Iphone 4 6.0.1

28. adam says:

i have admin rights and i have turned off uac and it still wont let me save the changes to the host file, please please help

• Khurram says:

Search for notepad in startmenu.
      Right click, run as administrator.

In notepad:
      File/Open.
      Locate the file. You will have to select “Show all files” to see host file.
      Open host.
      Edit.
      Save.

29. Lanfa Moenphao says:

I had same old error like you guys had but I use Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 to restore firmware and it works great ,no more error

30. zanarania says:

I CANT SAVE THIS FILE after change this host file and add this text ( 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com )

31. Diplo says:

Worked for me. Thanks. IPhone 3GS. Now phone give activation unavailable, try again later.

32. zztop says:

Just delete that whole line and that worked for me!

33. Joop says:

Everyone said it couldn’t be done without SHSH blobs. Ware ever you asked, in what ever forum you looked. It was not possible. But some how I did do it. I downgraded from iOS6.1.1 back to iOS5.1.1 without SHSH’s.
    In a playful mood I upgraded from my jail broken (absinthe-win-2.0.4) iOS 5.1.1 bb 05.16.06 to) iOS 6.0 and then to iOS 6.1 (10B141) bb 05.16.08 via iTunes (v 10.7). The last was jail broken with evasi0n-win-1.3.
    All went well but I couldn’t get anything installed with iFunbox. Started reading in the forums and wanted to downgrade my baseband to 05.13.04 and go back to iOS 5.1.1. Going back to iOS4.1 and getting to bb 05.13.04 is well explained but it took me about 6 days and at least 15 installs to get there. When I was on 05.13.04 I used sn0wbreeze 2.9.9 and downloaded iOS’s 4.1, 5.0.1, 5.1.1, 6.0 and 6.1.
    Then sn0wbreezered them all preserving my baseband. I must have installed between them about 10 times but every time iTune gave an error 1604 with iOS5.1.1. Suddenly the install was accepted and now I’m back on iOS5.1.1 with bb 05.13.04. Lucky me. Can install all app’s again with iFunBox. Tom-Tom 113 works so GPS is good.
    Thanks to the makers of absinthe, evasi0n-win-1.3 and sn0wbreeze 2.9.9.

34. Mauricio says:

Hey guys i found a really good tutorial it works to me is in spanish here i leave the link good luck guys!

35. There are absolutely numerous particulars like that to choose into consideration. That can be a nice amount to provide up. I offer the ideas over as usual inspiration but clearly there are inquiries just like the one particular you convey up exactly where the most significant factor may very well be operating in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if finest methods have emerged around issues like that, but I am sure that your employment is clearly identified as a good game. Each boys and ladies really feel the impression of only a moment’s satisfaction, for the remaining of their life.

36. helpful site says:

Strategies About How To Buy A Hot Water Warming Up

37. After examine just a few of the weblog posts in your web site now, and I really like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site checklist and will likely be checking again soon. Pls try my website as effectively and let me know what you think.

38. Oleg says:

I had a little trouble going into DFU mode because my home button is a bit iffy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *